Monday, February 14, 2011

Rag Quilts


I have made some rag quilts and they are super easy!
This is the first one I ever made:

I made this using denim from my husbands & sons old blue jeans. This is a great re-purposing or up-cycled project. I backed it with super cute red/white polka dot material. I did not line it with anything because I figured it was heavy enough with the denim but I really wish I would have. It isn't warm at all! But I guess it's cute enough to make up for its lack of warmth. *grin*

I made it from this website.
I just used hearts instead of stars.
I also made my daughter one (the one below).



I think they are precious! I have also showed some friends how to make them and they can be completely cut & sewn in one day! The snipping of the edges takes a bit longer. One friend did hers completely in one day, but your fingers will be hating you!

I bought this navy & yellow toile material & will be posting a tutorial very soon! I hope you follow along!

Tools I used include: rotary cutter, 8.5 inch square rotary ruler, cutting mat, fabric, flannel, snipping scissors for frayed edges, & of course a sewing machine!

Linked to:

10 comments:

  1. Your rag quilts are absolutely fantastic. I have been wanting to make these for my girls, but I can never get done with all my other projects to get started.
    Seeing yours are giving me inspiration to finish up now and get started.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt turned out so well! I love that you used jeans.

    My husband decided to show us some karate moves one night. He doesn't know karated. He jumped up and did a funky kick and the crotch of his jeans ripped. Those jeans would have made a memorable quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful color combinations! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rag quilts are beautiful! I love how the red material from the back of the jean one shows through on the rag part....and love, love, love the material of the brown/blue one! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great project. Love your raq quilts especially the denim ones, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely fantastic. love the repurposed jeans idea, the reverse applique, and love the chocolate combination also. that's a lot of love... :-0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Thank you so much for sharing! I would be honored if you would link up your super cute blog over on my blog stalkin' page.

    http://alaynahoward.blogspot.com/p/blog-stalkin.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are cute. I love the hearts. I'm your newest follower. I'm having my first link party tomorrow (Monday). It would be great if you could stop by and post your project. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are absolutely beautiful! So very well done! I'm gonna post about these on my blog sometime this week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE rag quilts! I made one for my daughter last year and it was so easy & fun. I am going to make twin size blankets for my boys' beds soon. The clipping is tedious and your fingers scream, but it's worth it ♥ thanks for sharing your quilts! Kelsey

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments! I read each one & love to check out your blogs, too! Thanks so much for commenting- it means alot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...