Thursday, February 17, 2011

Rag Rug


I saw this darling braided rag rug (above) on the V and Co blog awhile back & LOVED it! I imagined it sweetly nestled on the side of my bed & being the last thing my feet touched before I laid down to my sweet dreams.
So...... I HAD to make me one!



It was pretty simple thanks to her great tutorial.



I used old sheets and just tore them into strips and braided them. Then, you just sew them together. It feels pretty thin & fragile. I kept thinking it was gonna fall apart when I washed it, but I have washed it several times and it still looks as cute as can be!


I made another one using decorator fabric (that I found on sale at Hobby Lobby for $4 a yard). I braided that fabric together by row and didn't have to sew strips together. You just weave it together while you make it. That sounds kinda Martha-ish, but it was really pretty simple. You could totally do it!

That one feels thicker because of the decorator fabric & the different construction method. I will probably braid the next one I make, too.
(I didn't post a pic of that one because I don't like the colors as well)

Today, while looking for her rag rug pic, I saw this matching accessory that I must make! I love this braided rag pillow!


I love the browns, blues & pinks! I might try to make a heart one. I wonder if I can do that?? We'll see!


Not only did I see the cute braided rag pillow. I saw several other great tutorials.


Isn't this basket, cute?? It would make a great centerpiece on my table for Easter! I need to get busy with this one.
This pillow is so elegant! I can see that perched in my wooden rocker - looking cute as could be!



This pillow is adorable! I need to make one for my bed! I am gonna have so many cute pillows on my bed that we are gonna have to sleep on the floor!

This is just a very small sampling of the great tutorials she has on her site! Go check her out!

Linked to the following parties:
DIY Home Sweet Home
A Marvelous Mess
Skip To My Lou
Making The World Cuter
Dittle Dattle
Between Naps on the Porch
Sew Can Do
Todays Creative Blog
Tip Junkie

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Not Just A Housewife  
Vintage Wannabee
Coastal Charm
Savvy SouthernStyle
Blue Cricket Design
A Beach Cottage
Shabby Nest
Trendy Treehouse

24 comments:

  1. That rag rug is gorgeous!! My two favorite colors! What kind of thread did you use to sew all the strips into the circle? I think my entryway needs one. I'm your newest follower, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I used regular ole sewing thread. It has held together beautifully. It makes me smile to look at it :-) I would love to see your rug, when you make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours you've used in your rug. I'm so impressed it lasted through the wash.

    I'm your new follower!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed with your braided rug! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember braided rag rugs from my grandmother's house. Yours looks great. I'm not sure if I would have the patience to make one. I think you should try to pillow...ok and maybe the basket too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute rug. Thank you so much for joining the More The Merrier Monday Linky Party. Be sure to come back next week. I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to try braiding rugs. Love the colors of your first rug, especially the pink....I am just addicted to it right now. The braided pillow is the perfect accompaniment. I would love it if you link up to my party, A Marvelous Mess. I will be picking one project to feature on the sidebar of my blog for a week!! Here is the link:
    http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/02/marvelous-mess_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial links. The rugs and pillows are totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome rug! I've had a braided rug on my to-do list forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your rugs! just spyed them on making the world cuter...am always on the look out for things to do with remnants, so this is fab! thank you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to make one of these. Thanks for the links! Love the basket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your rug turned out awesome!! I tried to make one of these last year but abandoned the project. I need to go back and finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome. I particularly love the basket which makes a home cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, that's great! love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the rug! Just got added to my to-do fun list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This rug is really alot simpler to make than it looks! Ya'll should totally try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your colors in this! I'm featuring it over at http://rosyredbutton.blogspot.com today for whimsical wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are just the cutest things! That pillow is yummy. I'm your 14th follower! Come visit me at bles-id ... like bles-id is the name of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty...all of it! Especially the Easter Basket...I'd like to make one of those too. Just visiting from Wow Us Wednesdays!
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your rag rug looks great! Thanks for sharing all the pics. I never thought about making a rag pillow! That's definitely on my to do list. :)

    Tracy http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have been Featured!! I love this rug so much that I wanted to share your tutorial with my readers. Please stop by and check it out.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this project! Everyone remembers the old braided rugs, they were not this chic!!!
    www.dashing-home.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! I am thinking of making one to use as part of my display at boutiques. Would love you to link up to Made With Love. My readers will love this! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments! I read each one & love to check out your blogs, too! Thanks so much for commenting- it means alot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...