Friday, March 4, 2011

Biscuit Tutorial

That sounds funny...biscuit tutorial.  I thought a couple of tutorial style recipes for basic stuff might help someone who started out like me.

When I got married I couldn't cook a lick!  I was nervous about making boxed macaroni or hamburger helper.  My Mother (who is very wonderful) is NOT a cook...I repeat..NOT a cook.  Just last Thanksgiving she cooked the turkey with all the giblets still inside & she still calls me to ask what she could make with chicken.  We ate lots of canned, frozen, & boxed food - but enjoyed every meal.

My Mother-in-law, on the other hand, has never met a food she couldn't cook.  I think she can make cardboard taste good.  She always cooks from scratch, and never uses boxed or frozen foods.  She has even made pickled watermelon rinds for goodness sake!

You can imagine what a problem that was for me as a newlywed.  We almost got a divorce the first time we went to the grocery store.  I proceeded to pick up what I was used to eating & he was saying he didn't want to eat that.  I was thinking..."Oh my!  What have I done..... and what in the world am I gonna do???"

Well, over the course of the last 18 years, I have learned alot about cooking.  I actually enjoy it very much.  Baking is a stress-reliever for me.  Hope this helps some of you!  Here ya go:

Biscuits

2 cups self-rising flour  
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees


Mix together the flour and shortening with a pastry blender or a fork.


 Mix it until the shortening is all blended up and the flour looks course (you won't see any globs of shortening).


Pour in your buttermilk & stir (but don't over stir).  You want it to be wet enough to pull away from the sides of the bowl, but not sticky wet.

 Put extra flour on a surface to pour the dough onto.
I use a baking sheet because I am crazy like that, but you can use your counter top.
 

Pour a little oil in your skillet.  
You can lightly grease the pan instead, and not roll the biscuits in the oil - rolling them in oil makes the bottom sort crunchy & yummy.
 Pour the dough onto your floured surface.
 
 Flatten it out a bit.
 Fold it over and smash it down a bit.  You want to make it a smooth dough but handle it as little as possible.
 Then pinch off a biscuit sized piece (i am guessing it's about a 1/4 cup) and roll into a biscuit.
I really like to flatten the dough out and use the biscuit cutter to make them pretty, but my Manly Man likes them this way best.

 Put it on the oil in the pan, flip it over in the oil and move it to the side in the pan.
 Continue until you have used all of the biscuit dough.
 Pop them in the oven.

 Take them out after about 10 minutes (or when the tops are slightly brown).

Yum!  Enjoy!!  

3 comments:

  1. Those look yummy. I have made biscuits from scratch, but haven't tried the oil thing. Thanks for sharing this recipe at the WUW party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still laugh at my "first" biscuits and I used Pioneer Baking Mix. I quickly learned I needed to add more milk or water than the box said. Chuck says we used my first batch of biscuits for supports under our mobile home. Now I am a lazy girl and use frozen biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I'm going to have to try this biscuit recipe! Nothing like biscuits and honey!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments! I read each one & love to check out your blogs, too! Thanks so much for commenting- it means alot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...