Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rag Coasters Tutorial







These coasters are 3 of my favorite things - cute, cheap, & quick!  They can be made with scraps and completed in about an hour!

I made 8 - so I cut out 8- 4 inch squares of each fabric -red polka dots, flannel, denim.



Then I made fabric sandwiches again - denim was the bottom right side down, then flannel, then the polka dot right side up. 




 
After I made my fabric sandwiches, then it was time to sew!  I used my sewing machine but this is even something small enough that you could do it by hand if you wanted/had to.  Maybe even a great thing you could use to teach kids to sew (yes, they are THAT simple).



I sewed a 1/2 inch seam all around each square.


I *heart* my old machine.  It sews so well & its really a pretty blue color.

 

Then I snipped about 1/4 in all around up close to the seam (sorry I forgot to take pictures of that).
Then I washed them to get the edges raggedy. 
How cute is that?? 


 Remember when I showed you how to do the rag quilt?  You can use that technique for several things.  I made this baby security blanket with that technique & I have made burp cloths with it, too.




I would love to know if you give it a try!

Do you use coasters?

16 comments:

  1. Visiting from Wildflowers & Whinmsy, I am your newest follower. I love the coasters, so simple and yep so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial! I have spare cloth from my couch makeover and have put off getting coasters because I never found any that I love... Now I can make the perfect ones =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great, super cute and easy! Thanks for posting it. One more project to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea! I love that you can just throw them in a drawer with napkins, etc and pull them out as needed. I actually got rid of my coaster set because I couldn't find a spot for it! have to give these a try. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your coasters, especially with that darling polka dot print! Great tute!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really cute, do love that polka dot fabric - what a great idea to stack fabrics for coasters. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! Did only one wash get the ends that raggedy? I've been trying to do that on a craft project and even after 2 washes, I can't get the ends to be right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I sit here taking a break from my work-at-home job I find that after looking at your projects, I'd rather be sewing instead! I love your rag quilts and I also like these cute coasters! And I have old denim jeans that I can use. I just have to get to it :) Does anyone microwave a plate of leftovers like I do? I think I’ll make some a little bigger to set the warm plate on and protect my table, instead of using my grungy potholders!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you shared this! My local quilt shop has these packages of 4" squares and I want them so bad! Alas, I do not quilt and didn't have a use for them. But now I do! Basic Gray quilt squares, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! New follower here, and thanks for the nice comment on my Blue Birds Pendant. Yes, the trim on it is pearls...I love pearls, & polka dots...pretty much anything super cute! Which by the way, those coasters are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. These coasters are darling! Thanks for the great blog and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute coasters - and even cuter sewing machine!
    I recently made up some 'talking coasters' with questions printed on them to stimulate dinner time conversation! They've worked really well and I've had to make more they've been so popular!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this easy to do coasters! Thanks for the tutorial, I will try it. I cam from Trendy Treehouse, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking about learning to use my mom's machine and this looks like a great beginner project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea! A great way to use up all of those adorable fabrics that I can't use because they're too small, but can't seem to part with either!

    Thanks for sharing!
    MJ @ MD School Mrs

    ReplyDelete

  16. I make coasters all the time, using all sorts of materials. I realy like this one. Most of the time I am under pressure to make a lot in a short amount of time as gifts, this one surley fits the bill. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments! I read each one & love to check out your blogs, too! Thanks so much for commenting- it means alot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...