Thursday, July 21, 2011

Homemade Pickles


Yesterday I made my own dill pickles & bread 'n' butter pickles.   I have made and canned jam (super yummy!), apple butter, and banana peppers.  That's pretty much it.  I haven't done very much canning, but what I have done was pretty simple.  You must try it!  

It makes you feel all... Martha!

I saw a recipe for 14 day sun pickles at Cookin With K's website.  I wanted to make them but couldn't find the fresh dill at the local grocery store, so I bought the Dill Pickle Mix and Bread and Butter Pickle Mix they had.  


You only need vinegar, pickling cucumbers, and Mrs. Wages Dill Pickle Mix!


I cut some spears and slices...


and packed them in the jars.  I mean PACKED them in.

Its about now that I start to feel fancy.  I mixed the vinegar, water, and dill mix and cooked it until it boiled.  I poured the dill mix to cover the pickles in the jar (leaving about a 1/2 inch space in the top), and put the lids on.

I put all the jars in a pot (I had to use a bigger pot than the one in the picture) and covered them with water.  I boiled them for about 10 minutes and took them out.  Canning tongs come in handy at this point.  I didn't have them and survived, but I won't mention how many times I burned myself!

*boo-boo* confession: I ran out of jars and used an old ragu jar and lid that I had.  While the jars were boiling, that lid popped off and water got in there! UGH!  I won't do that again!


As the jars cool, you start to hear the tops pop.  That's how you know they are sealed.  I like that "pop!".


I think the canning jars looks pretty all lined up with food.  I need an open canning pantry to store them in.  It's like art work!  
(or heart work)


I also got the Bread & Butter pickle mix to make some for my Manly Man.  That mix had alot more seasoning so they look even prettier!

What is your favorite thing to can (or favorite canned thing to eat)?

7 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I would love for you to stop by http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/ on Monday to link up your pickle recipe and any other projects you would like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm...when I was younger I'd help my Granny do canning! Haven't tried it by myself yet! She'd do tomatoes and green beans!! And pickles of course!!
    Yours turned out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I love pickles - I think I will need to get my Martha on and try it. I grew up on a farm and my Mom canned EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, my mouth is watering.. I love dill pickles!! I have never canned befor, you make it look easy. I might have to give it a try.

    Hugs,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! They look amazing! Home made pickles always taste so good! So worth the effort! Enjoy them! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to can, I have been making salsa this last week, also fig preserves. I have made plum jelly and blueberry jelly and will be canning pear halves soon.You are right it does make you feel kind of like Martha-just wish I had all her staff for the clean up! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so delicious!! In the past I have dones LOTS of canning and I think having canned peaches was my favorite...they tasted so good! Thank you for visiting my blog and introducing me to yours. Some fabulous ideas and creativity! I'm off to browse your archives!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments! I read each one & love to check out your blogs, too! Thanks so much for commenting- it means alot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...