I have made (and enjoyed) Chicken Ala King without waffles, but I LOVE it on these waffles!
Chicken Ala King
- 1/4 c. green pepper, minced
- 3 tbsp. celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (3 ounce.) cans mushrooms
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce.) cans chicken (or possibly 2 c.chicken, diced)
- 1/4 c.pimentos
- Cook green pepper, celery and onions in butter till tender. Blend in flour; gradually add in soup; add in mushrooms and liquid. Cook till thick, stirring constantly. Add in chicken, pimentos and seasonings; heat thoroughly.
- Serve over toast points or possibly rice or possibly biscuits. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup club soda
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- Sift together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cheese. Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients; gently stir into dry ingredients just until blended.
- Spoon a heaping 1 cup batter evenly onto a preheated, lightly greased waffle iron. Cook 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp and done. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Transfer waffles to a baking sheet, and keep warm, uncovered, in the oven at 200° until ready to serve. Waffles can be frozen in zip-top freezer bags and reheated in oven or toaster oven.